Sunday, January 20, 2008

Twin Cinema

It's rare that I watch one movie a month, but I was able to catch two movies over the weekend.  

The first was on Friday night.  I went to the Angelika Film Center in Plano to see The Kite Runner.  My friend K let me borrow the book months ago and I finally finished reading it this past week so that we could see the movie.  I really enjoyed reading the book by Khaled Hosseini and found his story captivating.  I thought the movie was a rather well done adaptation of the book.  The biggest change I noticed was that, while the book is linear in time, the movie is not.  It makes sense to me that director Marc Forster created it this way.  The movie begins by depicting the main character, Amir, as an adult receiving a phone call to return to Afghanistan.  Thoughout his journey there and back, the movie explains the events of his childhood that led to his return.  Four Stars.

The second was on Saturday night at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas to see The Savages.  Thanks to some nice gift certificates by my friend M, my friend J and I were able to enjoy the movie.  The film illustrates the hopeful Wendy (Laura Linney) and the cynical Jon (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) as brother and sister struggling to find the best situation for their elderly and estranged father who has recently been diagnosed with dimentia.  I was captured by the difficult struggle that both of them went through to provide their father with the best situation that they could find for him in the remaining days of his life, despite his lack of concern for them during his life.  Three Stars.

No comments: