Wednesday, May 9, 2007

You Are Free

From time to time, I like to engage in a little irri-tainment (irritating entertainment). The combination of those two elements seem to do something for me. As I check my email today, I find one of the many Metroplex area show announcements for several of the theatres here in Dallas. One show I found interesting coming to town was (conservative blowhard) Sean Hannity's Freedom Concert. The word "concert" grabbed my attention. Who the fuck would play at an event hosted by such a cultural poison as him?

So, in my irritainment curiosity, I clicked on the link. It took me to a about a two minute video. The first two thirds of it was Sean signing autographs for those that seemed to worship him. Could this guy be any more vain? The the last third of it showed the concert. The list of acts includes Sara Evans (spare), Hank Williams, Jr. (had it), and...Lee Greenwood.

Now don't get me wrong. I love America. I love freedom, especially freedom that pisses off people Hannity. But has anyone ever gone further with less than Lee Greenwood? My second thought was, "ok, so he'll get up there and play 'God Bless the U.S.A.' and then what?" This song was played out a few months after its release in th 1980's and had a brief comeback shortly after Septemeber 11th.

I'm not a culture warrior (nor do I know what that means) and these things don't really matter that much to me, but if you're keeping score, the Democrats seem to have much better music at their festivals on a consistent basis. I think I could tolerate Al Franken for an afternoon if he had The Decemberists playing at his festival.

No comments: