Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I'm The Best Seventeen Year-old Ever

There are some bands out there that just rock no matter what they do. The Wrens are one of those bands. Hailing from New Jersey and putting out a mere four records and a shared EP in the last thirteen years, they are regarded by their fans as one of the most underrated bands in indie rock today. In 2003, the band released perhaps their best album to date, Meadowlands.

I was fortunate to attend my second Wrens show on Friday night at Hailey's in Denton. I saw them two years before at the same venue and the show was one of my favorites of that year. As expected, the band did not disappoint. The show opened with singer/guitarist Charles Bissell singing and playing a solo version of This Boy Is Exhausted, before the band kicked in midway through the song to finish it out. Most of the show included songs from 2003's Meadowlands, such as Faster Gun, Happy, and Everyone Choose Sides. I was especially happy when they played my favorite song of theirs, Boys, You Won't. During the song, they invited members of the audience up, handed each a drumstick, and asked them to bang on the stage with them. As I moved closer, I noticed the drummer Jerry MacDonnell coming towards me. He handed me a drumstick and told me to get on stage. I gladly did and began banging on the stage while singing every word of the song. I got to keep the drumstick as a memento. The band played one encore and closed it with what I think is their best song, She Sends Kisses. They are done touring for the year, but I am hoping that they come around next year.

The first opening band was Austinites The Midgetmen. I found their rhythms to be quite good, especially their lead guitarist. However, the vocals from all three vocalists left much to be desired. The next opening band was Get Him, Eat Him. I had heard a little of their music before, but this was probably the most I had heard from them at one time. I was impressed with how well composed their songs are. I will most likely find an album or two soon and give them another listen.

No comments: