Sunday, July 15, 2007

Now Hear This

With the year just about half over, I thought it might be a good idea to write about some of the albums that have been released this year that have had my iPod spinning like crazy. Not included in this list are albums by some of the more well known bands like The Shins, The Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, and Wilco. Those bands have all put out extraordinary albums this year, but I am sure that you are all probably listening to them already. So, without further ado...

Loney, Dear - Loney, Noir (Sub Pop)
I've written much about this Swedish band throughout the year. Their most recent release is perhaps their best. This is one of those albums where there is not a single weak track on it, with I Am John topping the list of great songs.

The Postmarks - s/t (Unfiltered)
This Miami band has a soft, melancholic sound mixed with a dream pop melodies. I fell in love with their music at this year's SXSW music conference and festival.

Blonde Redhead - 23 (4AD)
I've known about Blonde Redhead for years but never really listened to them. I picked up their latest album the day that I saw their show for the first time. I really dig this album as it has a consistent vibe the whole way through. My favorites right now are 23, Dr. Strangeluv and Silently.

Menomena - Friend and Foe (Barsuk)
This Portland-based trio really knows how to create a full sound going beyond just the traditional guitar, bass, and drums with horns and keyboards. The album is solid from start to finish with such great tracks as Muscle N' Flo and Wet and Rusting.

Low - Drums and Guns (Sub Pop)
I recently discovered this band despite knowing of them for years. I bought older albums of theirs and really enjoyed them. This latest offering is just as solid and chalked full of slo-core sounds as albums past.

Brandi Carlile - The Story (Sony BMG)
How dare I put someone on a major label on this list. However, I do believe that the lovely Ms. Carlile is quite a talent. In her latest release, she embraces her country roots to produce one excellent album.

No comments: