Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Adventures In Solitude

One of the perks of my job is getting to travel most anywhere (within reason) on the weekend instead of coming home.  For the last several months, I've been coming to Las Vegas each week and was asked to stay in there through Saturday this past week.  Though there aren't many to start with, I've done most every cultural activity that I've wanted to do in Las Vegas with few exceptions.  Instead of hanging around on Sunday, I caught a flight by myself to San Francisco to visit the city for my first time.

I started by taking BART from the airport to Union Square around 8:30 a.m.  I was rather unimpressed with Union Square as it seemed very generic.  If you're looking for a Macy's or Gap or the like, Union Square certainly could accommodate you.  Per some friend's of friend's recommendations, I ate breakfast at Café De La Presse.  The food and service were good, but I found perhaps the quote of the day from a patron that came in and sat near me at the bar.  The barista asked him what he planned to do for Easter Sunday.  His response was, "I think I am going to go to mass at Old St. Mary's and then head to the park to smoke some reefer."  I was amused.

After breakfast, I walked around Chinatown for bit.  I was really anxious to get some coffee.  I had heard about Blue Bottle Coffee from another recommendation.  I searched all over the Hayes Valley district for it until I found it in what looked like an alley.  There is a small line, but I finally got a soy latte.  Now I'm not much of a coffee person, but this was probably the best cup of coffee I have ever had.  Devotchka's How It Ends was a nice soundtrack to listen to while I got and drank my coffee.

I got lunch in the Mission District at a place called Atlas Cafe per another recommendation.  It took me a while to find it.  Once I did, I was impressed by the menu.  I was torn between several items, but I settled upon the apple and cheese sandwich, which had cheddar, apples, arugala, and olive oil on wheat bread.  It was quite good.  After lunch, I listened to Blonde Redhead's Misery is a Butterfly on my iPod as I went walking down Valencia in search of 826 Valencia's Pirate Supply Store.  I was disappointed when I got there and it was closed.

I spent the next hour or so walking the distance of Haight Street.  Parts of it were hilly and hard to climb up after I had been walking all day.  I stopped when I got to Buena Vista Park and relaxed for an hour or so and read.  It was a nice break.  I continued walking up Haight Street until I reached Amoeba Records.  This is probably the largest music store that I have ever visited.  I picked up Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago and Tulsa's I Was Submerged.  I am still listening and evaluating them.  

At the foot of Haight Street is where Golden Gate park begins.  I walked through the park for a bit to reach the Japanese Tea Garden.  I walked through the garden and enjoyed the landscape and sculpture throughout.  I also really liked the many large koi fish that were in the stream.  I'm almost jealous because I know my koi's will never grow that big.  The pond they live in is too small.  I also really liked the large statue of Siddhartha Buddha near the front.  I wanted to sit down and enjoy a pot of tea there, but I did not have enough time.  I brought some back from their gift shop along with a few other items.  The tea garden was probably my favorite part of the trip.  The atmosphere was so relaxing.

I probably walked well over ten miles on Sunday.  There were many parts of San Francisco that I wanted to visit, but I ran out of time.  I certainly want to get back there and spend more time.  Maybe next time, I can convince someone to come along with me.  The rest of my pictures from the trip can be found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[p]Uggs have gone from practical to fashionable in just a few years, and [url=http://www.cheap-uggboots-outlet.co.uk]ugg boots outlet sale[/url] nowadays, the brand has way more than just boots . UGG boots use the finest sheepskin and treats both [url=http://www.uggforsale-2013.co.uk]clearance australia ugg[/url] the fleece and the skin side . UGG boots have been completely conquered the hearts of stars, this is indeed a successful marketing strategy! UGG boots how popular? Take a look at the stars of the response to know . For individuals who require to get these boots, [url=http://www.uggsclassiccardyboots.co.uk]ugg classic cardy tall[/url] go to online stores & they can finding quality pairs sold at low prices there . Ugg Australia is one of the most traditional brands of Ugg snow boots . Return/Exchanges: You reside you purchase a person's UGG boots, be sure that they provide you with a great return and also exchange policy, if there are issues with your boot just after purchasing [url=http://www.uggsaleukclearance.co.uk]ugg sale clearance
[/url] them . UGG boots are designed for those children in the cold fall and [url=http://www.cheapuggbootsfsale.co.uk]ugg boots sale australia[/url] winter youth . Apart from styles for adults, you also can find cute and chic designs for kids and infants . After that sites may have some thing to [url=http://www.ugg4baileybutton.co.uk]ugg triplet bailey button[/url] ask from you.[/p]

Anonymous said...

[p]And even speed surroundings shed time [url=http://www.llinksoflondon.co.uk]wholesale links of london[/url] frame waiting an exceptional item with jewel ends when utilizing assortment furnished by Thomas Sabo . No matter what occasions you go, birthday party, anniversary, Christmas and so on, shopping some Pandora style beads to create your unique jewelry, you sure to [url=http://www.llinksoflondon.co.uk]links of london charms wholesale
[/url] get what you want . The range of diamond and deals with almost all computers and various situations that is ensures the organization clothing, party clothes, casual [url=http://www.thomassabojewellerysuk.co.uk]thomas sabo jewellery sale[/url] clothing and appearance . They will not merely developed a fresh type, and also efficiently proven a fresh industry . The load [url=http://www.llinksoflondon.co.uk]links london charms[/url] of this diamond is about 54 . Necklace and Bracelet: they are made by the same [url=http://www.thomassabojewellerysuk.co.uk]thomas sabo jewellery uk
[/url] way . There are plenty of kinds of wonderful charms within this retailer . Following successful soirees in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, Thomas Sabo隆炉s Special Addition collection and Glam & Soul range has been on many retailers隆炉 wish lists, with the company隆炉s local distributor, Duraflex Group Australia, running out of stock on some lines . Being fashion jewellery most items when they run out are not restocked so don隆炉t delay if you like something because it might not be there next time you look.[/p][p]They also include 隆炉925隆盲 if it is made of silver or 隆炉585隆盲 if it is made of gold . Right here I can [url=http://www.thomassabojewellerysuk.co.uk]thomas sabo sale[/url] let you know is these charms are created of premium quality with 925 sterling silver . Furthermore, donning these kind of earrings preserve us throughout very good feelings the many morning . Choose different style Lampwork ones, and combine them with metal ones can create different effects隆陋fashion, lovely, elegant, or vintage . Pandora rings , You also should know kind of jewelry she desires most . 95

My love of fashion influences so many facets of my daily life that not honouring this on my charm bracelet would be a travesty . You will discover new themes now the Disney themes and then the Barbie that can be a craze amongst individuals . Silver bracelet is offered by him included would be the colored rings, exquisite design, bold and elegant pendants, and variety of the other silver . This implies that the beauty of it隆炉s restricted only by your imagination.[/p]