Tuesday, March 18, 2008

SXSW 2008 - Day 3

Day Shows

Day 3 started at the Free YR Radio Broadcast Corner hosted by Minnesota public radio station 89.3 The Current. These shows ran each day on the corner of 7th and Red River. The show was live on the radio and the host would ask a few questions of the artist followed by a short set.

The Duke Spirit (1:00pm) - G, J, and I arrived early and we were able to get a spot right in front. It was quickly announced that the band would only play two songs as lead singer Leila Moss was suffering from a scratchy voice. She was still energetic and sounded pretty good considering. This was my first exposure to the band other than a download of the song Lassoo from the SXSW site. I'm glad I was able to see the band, and I'm eager to hear their upcoming release Neptune. It would be good to see them do a full set as well.

She & Him (2:15pm) - There was a large crowd gathered for the SXSW debut of the collaboration between Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. Host Mark Wheat started by asking about how the two met and if they would collaborate again. They indicated they would record again and hope to do a proper tour in the future. Zooey then introduced the band, and they played three songs off the new CD, Volume One, including the track This Is Not a Test (video courtesy of G).

The Sadies (Dirty Dog Bar, 2:40pm) - After the short She & Him set, it was off to Dirty Dog Bar to see the end of The Sadies set at the Yep Roc day party. I was only able to catch the last two songs of their set, but it was just as great as the previous night. These guys rock.

Fleet Foxes (Emo's Main, 3:30pm) - By this time the Pitchfork day party was in full effect. G and I stopped in to catch a few repeat songs of our favorite new band from the previous day. They were still very good.

Times New Viking (Emo's Jr., 4:00pm) - I knew going in to expect loud and raw from this Columbus, Ohio band, and I was right. But I was surprised at how fun it was too. Oddly enough their live sound is less rough than their latest CD, Rip It Off.

A Place to Bury Strangers (Emo's Jr., 5:00pm) - We stopped in for one song from Yeasayer over at Emo's Main, but it really did not sound good to me or G so we decided to grab a good spot for Strangers instead. I decided not to stand as close to the stage this time for the band. On Wednesday they really blew me away with how loud they actually play. They've earned the moniker, "loudest band in NY." At one point singer/guitarist Oliver Ackermann was swinging his guitar by the strings as they broke. Awesome fusion of rock and noise.

The Sadies (Auditorium Shores, 6:00pm) - Yes, it was off to see The Sadies again. This time at the venue on the banks of Town Lake. J and I found a nice spot for badge holders with free drinks and shade. The Sadies played the same set as the night before, but it didn't matter to me as they are just too good to miss in a live setting.

Night Shows

Ryan Bingham (Momo's, 8:00pm) - From Auditorium Shores, we walked a few blocks to Momo's for several performances. To start was local Americana/roots singer Ryan Bingham. He had quite a crowd gathered for his set, but I was really there to see the next two bands.

Future Clouds and Radar (9:00pm) - This Austin band lead by Robert Harrison is an eclectic art rock band that had a critically acclaimed debut double CD last year. The single Back Seat Silver Jet Sighter has become a new favorite of mine over the past month. You could see how much Harrison and his band loved playing, and it came out in their lively set. The bass player used to play for Spoon so there was a Britt Daniels sighting after their show.

The Submarines (10:00pm) - I was here to see this band based on one song called You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie. I'm very glad to have made that decision. Singer Blake Hazard is adorable and was so appreciative of the crowd. The crowd was appreciative right back for her and John Dragonetti's incredibly catchy songs. I look forward to their new CD release later this year.

She & Him (The Parish, 12:00am) - After Momo's it was time for a full set of She & Him. They were set to play a midnight show so I thought I'd catch a little of the Shout Out Louds who were playing before them. That was not to be. What met me was a long badge line at The Parish. G didn't make it in, but luckily I did about 10 minutes prior to M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel taking the stage. She seemed more comfortable during this set and really showed off some singing skills and play keyboard on a couple of songs. It was a well rounded set of tunes from their new CD. In my opinion the band is more than just some novelty interest because of the high profile collaboration.

Castanets (Central Presbyterian Church, 1:00am) - I've seen the Castanets on each of my three SXSW visits. This was a unique chance I thought to see them in a perfect venue. Last year I was able to see two shows (Shearwater, Vashti Bunyan) at the church, and both were great shows with amazing acoustics. Castanets frontman Raymond Raposa commented on the great venue. He and his backing band went on to play mostly cover songs (Suspicious Minds). It was an interesting show, but it featured more Castanets experimentation then a focus on their beautiful, haunting songs.

Favorite of the Day: She & Him

Favorite New Find: The Submarines

Sad to Have Missed: Tapes 'n Tapes, The Airborne Toxic Event, The Builders and the Butchers, Vampire Weekend, Plants and Animals

No comments: