Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Was in a Hurry When the Lights Went Dim

I was eagerly awaiting the start of The Rosebuds show on Tuesday night at The Cavern in Dallas, TX. I was a big fan of their 2005 CD, Birds Make Good Neighbors, which was one of my favorite releases of that year. This year saw the release of their just as good third full length CD, Night of the Furies. I had never heard opening band Land of Talk, but I enjoyed their music. Lead singer Elizabeth Powell provides solid indie rock vocals and displays a hint of PJ Harvey influence.

After Land of Talk played, I briefly talked to Rosebuds vocalist and keyboardist Kelly Crisp. The band had put together special tour CDs, and she created unique hand-made covers for each. I picked one she had made with flowers and fishing lures, and she signed it for me. I also asked her if they would be playing my favorite song from Birds Make Good Neighbors which is called Four-Track Love Song. Unfortunately she said no as the band didn't want to be held responsible for the crowd breaking into baby making.

For the new CD, the band was basically down to the duo of Kelly Crisp and Ivan Howard. For the tour they've beefed up to a five piece band and sounded fantastic. After some microphone difficulties at the beginning, they rolled through some songs off the new CD like Cemetery Lawn, When the Lights Went Dim, and Silja Line. The synth pop sound of their new songs really got the crowd into the show with many people dancing along (yeah even me a little). I really enjoyed the beats and sing alongs of Get Up Get Out and Night of the Furies. They played a large portion of songs on the new CD, but also kicked in a few solid numbers off the previous release like Hold Hands and Fight, Leaves Do Fall, and Boxcar.

The encore was really fun as Ivan and Kelly came right down into the crowd and played acoustic versions of I Better Run and Shake Our Tree. I briefly chatted with Kelly and Ivan again to wrap up the night and to thank them for a great show. Two very nice people and a band that deserves much more recognition.

No comments: