Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Lollapalooza 2007 Schedule Released

I am excited that I will get to attend the third Lollapalooza Music Festival this year. I've been with Lollapalooza since it switched to the festival format in 2005. I am very excited about the trip this year as it promises good times and good music.

On Friday, if we get there early enough, I'd like to see the UK band The Fratelli's. I've heard a few songs here and there and they sound pretty good to me. Next, I cannot miss one of my favorite Austin bands, Ghostland Observatory. I wish they were playing later in the day though. It's been a while since I've seen alt-country geniuses Son Volt, but I think I will probably see them next. And after the short performance at Sasquatch, I must finally a full show from the Dallas band The Polyphonic Spree. There is no question that after then I will catch Sparklehorse. I really enjoy seeing them each time they play and they have been playing mostly older material. My biggest conflict of the day comes next as Silversun Pickups overlap with Blonde Redhead. I have been a fan of Silversun Pickups, but have yet to see them play. However, Blonde Redhead has put out one of my favorite albums of this year, 23. I'll probably catch most of both of them. I consistently miss The Black Keys on every occasion, but I am sure I'll catch them this time. I might require a break following all of this and the bands playing don't really do much for me. I have been a somewhat moderate fan of Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals in the past. Instead, I will probably go see Daft Punk to close out the night.

Saturday starts with a Swedish band I know very little of but I am interested in called I'm From Barcelona. I've been rather high on Swedish bands of late and am anxious to see what they have to bring. Next, I might try to check out Fields. They're another I know very little about but have heard a fair bit of buzz regarding them. Next, I might try to see indie rocker Pete Yorn, whom I have not seen in years, and catch a little of Minneapolis's Tapes N' Tapes. I'll probably take a little time to rest and then go check out Cold War Kids. I saw them a bit at SXSW but was not impressed. I seem to like their studio recordings, so this show will be the test. It is tempting for me skip Clap Your Hands Say Yeah since I just recently saw them to go check out The Roots, whom I have not seen since 2003. I'm not sure which one I'll catch during this hour. There is nothing that could stop from seeing the lovely Regina Spektor next. I have really taken to her latest album, Begin to Hope. I've been itching for years to see Karen O and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Next up will no doubt be perhaps my favorite Austin band of all time, Spoon. Interpol is one of my favorite bands to see, though I have heard marvelous things about the fine work of Muse on stage. This will definitely be the most difficult decision of the day.

I would love to kick things off on Sunday with The Postmarks, who are a friend of this blog. Next, I'll take a break before I see the Heartless Bastards. My first conflict of the day comes up when another favorite Austin band, The Black Angels, play opposite a band a have a moderate to high interest in, Los Campesinos! I may go see either Annuals or Apostle of Hustle after that. I know very little of either, but recall Annuals being pretty good opening up for Blonde Redhead earlier this year. Following that, I can't wait to see the Swedish trio Peter Bjornand John again. The biggest conflict, perhaps of the festival, follows as both My Morning Jacket and Modest Mouse play opposite each other. I've seen both several times and Modest Mouse more recently. I'll probably end up seeing them because MMJ will play Austin City Limits this year. I'll probably pass on TV on the Radio as they have never done much for me. I, despite being at the tail end of Gen X, have never seen Pearl Jam. I haven't listened to album of theirs in almost ten years, but am mildly excited to see them as they were one of my favorites in the early nineties.

So, thats it. I imagine I'll hear some bands here and there that will only make this more complicated. I am very much looking forward to this trip as I am every year. It was one of my favorite weekends from last year.

1 comment:

MK said...

J, I have been at a conference for a few days and haven't reviewed the lineup for myself yet, but I have been collecting tracks from almost all of the bands. If there's anything you want to hear that you don't have, give me a shout and I'll send it to you via the interweb cybertubes.