Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Absence of God

Talking religion is one my favorite topics. When I learned about and saw previews of the documentary Jesus Camp, I knew I had to see it. Jesus Camp is an inside look at Evangelical Christian America and its Bible Camps that occur throughout the nation. The movement has received quite a bit of publicity over the last few years with its perceived influence over elections.

I found the documentary to be very compelling. I didn't grow up in an evangelical household because Catholics just aren't (or weren't) evangelical. But I did find myself identifying with some of the negative messages that these children were being given surrounding Christianity - such things as sin, the devil, and repentance. In my adulthood, my spirituality has been mostly centered around positivity and empowerment. I was immediately sensitive to such messages and found myself disappointed in the adults in this film for making these kids feel so bad. Many of them were to the point of crying.

The run of the mill contradicting viewpoints that are widely held by such individuals were quite prominent throughout the film. The lead up from the evangelicals standpoint to the liberal Air America Radio talk show host opinion was clearly contrasted and hit a climax as they appeared on the radio show to dispute such points of view.

I'm not writing this review to pick on the Evangelicals. Rather, I am encouraging all to view this well done documentary to see what I believe to be a small fraction of the population that is perceived to be larger than they truly are. As someone who claims to be a social and religious liberal, I found it to be quite interesting and scary from a human rights standpoint. I don't personally read (nor enjoy) Harry Potter, but prohibiting a child from their potential enjoyment of it because there is magic within the story seems a bit ridiculous and irresponsible to me. But this is America, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and philosophy of raising their own children. And that is what makes this documentary so interesting.

No comments: