Sunday, August 5, 2007

Lollapalooza Day Two: Turn On The Bright Lights

Day Two, you ain't no day one.

I'm From Barcelona
The much anticipated show from the Swedish band I'm From Barcelona was nothing short of spectacular. All members of the band came out and immediately began distributing balloons. I was sure this would be a fun show and no doubt it was just that. They played the full hour of songs from their debut album, Let Me Introduce My Friends, along with several other tracks. This show was a great way to get the day started.

Pete Yorn
It had been nearly five years since I had seen the great Pete Yorn. Since then, I had pretty much forgotten about him, putting his phenomenal debut album musicforthemorningafter, up on the shelf. He made me regret this and I will certainly be pulling it back from the shelf very soon. I also need to add his latest title to my collection. Pete Yorn put on one hour of great live music. I found myself singing along to many of the songs of a few years ago that I used to jam to. And in a comedic moment, he did a cover of Peter Bjorn and John's Young Folks, citing that someone had mistaken him for being the author the "whistling song". I was quite impressed with his rendition. And I'm sorry for abandoning you, Pete. But you are back in the rotation now.

Sam Roberts Band
I didn't catch much of this show and had never heard of Sam Roberts Band, but I did enjoy the few tracks I heard. They had a pretty good rhythm to their music.

Cold War Kids
Truth be told, the planners of Lollapalooza had this band on the wrong stage. They should have been at a much bigger stage because it was overcrowded. Meanwhile, Motion City Soundtrack were at the larger stage and did not attract as many people from what I could tell. However, Cold War Kids sounded much better than I remember them sounded at this years SXSW conference. I'll have to check them out again when I get a chance to actually see them.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Gone are the days when I used to get up close to see CYHSY. They've become much too popular and for great reason - they're even better than ever. An hour long set of old and new favorites was as solid as any show I've seen from them in the last couple of years.

The Hold Steady
I promised a friend of mine that I would try my best to get in to this band. Musically, I thought they sounded great, but vocalist Craig Finn's voice is hard for me to get into. In fact, it almost ruins the sound for me. I'd like to hear him try singing rather than talking. Other than that, the performance was pretty good.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
I'd been waiting to see Karen O and her band for quite a while now and this was my chance. A packed AT&T stage would not allow me to get up close, but I was able to enjoy this show from a distance as Karen O in her costumes sang and danced across the stage in her unique way. I really enjoyed Gold Lion, Date With The Night, and especially, Cheated Hearts.

Spoon
Seeing Spoon anymore is like going to see an old friend. Though it was raining and tons of people were walking around me to get to their next show, I enjoyed seeing and hearing Britt Daniel play the songs from their new release, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. They mostly stuck to playing from their last three albums, which are all great. I could watch this band play everyday and not ever get tired of them. I only regret leaving too early to get to Interpol. They played my favorite song, Anything You Want, after I left.

Interpol
While I am sure that Muse had tons more people at their show, there was no way I was going to choose them over Interpol. And Interpol would not make me regret that decision. Fresh off the release of their third full length, Our Love To Admire, Interpol played what would become my favorite show of the day. The guitar Carlos Dengler sounded so amazing on each and every song that it is hard to choose a favorite. As always, the Interpol light show used solid reds, purples, and blues to illuminate the set. I especially enjoyed the encore of NYC and Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down. Interpol is one of the best live acts going today.

No comments: