Saturday, August 11, 2007

Sing For Me

I might be done with karaoke.

Per the request of a couple of friends, I went to McKinney Avenue Tavern last night for karaoke. I realize that the idea of it is that normal people who can't sing get up on a stage and make fools of themselves. I get that. I've done it several times myself after a few drinks. But I think that the MAT has become an enormous tool shed. There was a time when I could walk in there, know a few people, and have a great time. Those days are gone. The karaoke crowd has beaten that place down. I wrote a few weeks ago that I can't take Neil Diamond singing Sweet Caroline. I sure as hell cannot take some shmo singing it. As for my own singing, I got up there in the spirit of being a good sport and sang Nirvana's Lithium. Unfortunately, the only people in the bar that knew it were a few of my friends. Proof that the masses are, indeed, asses.

The only positive thing I can say about the place and the experience was that of the effort of a few girls there at the door taking donations for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. For a five dollar donation, the MAT would let you have happy hour prices all night. They should be commended for that. On the other hand, they let in some goon dressed up as Captain Morgan show up with a band of nookie girls to put on some lame ass pose contest to win a trip to Las Vegas. Tools.

I might also be done with cheesy bars.

1 comment:

MK said...

I am still conflicted over whether to call it a tool shed or a tool box.