Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year (SXSW Band Previews)

It's that time of year again where SXSW is nye upon us.  I am going to attempt to survey the list of rumored bands over the next month or so in search of something (hopefully many things) to get excited about.  So, I'll give as many bands as I can, in a random pecking order, at least two (maybe more) listens to and give my thoughts on them and some qualitative rating on whether or not I think they are worthy of one hour of my four days in Austin.  And in case your wondering, established bands that are playing (i.e. My Morning Jacket, Breeders, Nada Surf, etc.) will not be reviewed.  This should be exploratory.

Bear Hands (Brooklyn, NY) - A Brooklyn band at SXSW?  Wait, isn't that what SXSW is made up of these days?  I have come to believe that everyone who lives in the borough of Brooklyn is in a band.  After two listens of their three songs on myspace, they remind me a bit of Modest Mouse, particularly the song Bad Blood.  I like the guitar and rhythm in Golden.  Long Lean Queen might be a little too "poppy" for my tastes, but tolerable because everything I heard is promising.  I think I might take the opportunity to check them out should the schedule allow.

Birdmonster (San Francisco, CA) - I do make it a point to give any band with a silly name a listen. Birdmonster might make me regret this.  The song Ice Age starts off decently, but then erupts into thrashing guitar chaos which I find annoying.  Cause You Can sounds like cheesy rock trying too hard to be indie.  The only song I found tolerable was No Midnight.  Chances are I won't check them out unless they are playing ahead of someone I really want to see and I have to establish position.

Plants & Animals (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - The first thing I learned about this band when I clicked on their website was that they have a sense of humor about the internet.  That is a great start in my opinion.  The trio are self-described as "Indie/Rock/Healing and Easylistening".  I found the two songs on myspace Lola Who and Faerie Dance to be a nice rhythmic mix of sounds and quite full for only three people creating music.  I like the changes in sound that complement each other throughout the songs that make each a suite-like song.  I can't wait to hear more by this band.  I am definitely going to see Plants & Animals.


No comments: