Monday, February 11, 2008

SXSW Preview, Part II

In Part II of my SXSW preview, I review three new bands.

Kitty, Daisy & Lewis (London, UK) - I had to do a double take to make sure I read the name of the city that Kitty, Daisy & Lewis are from.  I don't need to get my eyes checked, they are from London.  But judging by the sound, you'd think cross between country and big band were at least from somewhere in the states.  The first two songs (Mean Son of a Gun and Ooo Wee) sound a bit like something your mom and dad might have heard when they met at the high school dance.  I hope I can find time to check them out.

The Spinto Band (Wilmington, DE) - I seem to remember a song by this band a couple of years back called Oh Mandy.  So you can imagine my surprise when I went to their site and found that this was being dubbed as their "new single".  I remembered this song quite well, but the thing is, I didn't find the other two songs (Direct to Helmet and Mountains) on their site to sound much like Oh Mandy.  Oh Mandy sounds pop-ish, but in a cool way (and yes, there is such a thing).  The other two songs sound alternative with good rhythms.  I like it and I'd like to see these guys play during the trip.

Jandek (Houston, TX) - There are times that you listen to something so completely different that you can't determine if it is genius or crap.  That is where I am with Jandek.  Though quite minimalistic and often times lacking in an identifiable rhythm, I could see where this is the type of band that might be cool live, but their studio album leaves something to be desired.  Unfortunately, I am not inspired enough to find out.  I'll probably skip this one.

No comments: