Thursday, February 21, 2008

SXSW Preview, Part III

The official lineup was announced.  Thanks to The Austinist for providing us updates.

Citay (San Francisco, CA) - I was first turned on to this west coast band from today's KEXP Song of the Day podcast.  I listen to this podcast each day in hopes of finding something new and good.  I think I might have found that in Citay.  Their easy going rhythms and almost background-like vocals make the music sound almost completely instrumental and progressive, but not a "jam band" kind of way.  They are self-described as "Happy Hardcore/German Pop/Soul".  I am not sure if that is a joke, but whatever their music is, I like it.  I recommend Little Kingdom and Seasons Don't Fear the Year.  I am pretty sure that I want to see this band at SXSW.

Our Lunar Activities (Stornoway, UK) - I think I'll probably listen to any band that has some reference to the moon, sun, or animal in its name.  After listening to the UK band Our Lunar Activities, I question why I have such an odd selection process.  Their music reminds me of what bands like Snow Patrol have become.  This sort of Indie Pop is what will most likely become (or maybe already is) the next wave of popular music.  It's catchy and easy for the masses to like and adds a certain "feel good" quality.  Our Lunar Activities doesn't do anything special for me.  I'll probably skip their show.

Pterodactyl (Brooklyn, NY) - The word "Pterodactyl" is one of my favorite words.  And the band "Pterodactyl" would be one of my favorite bands if I found noise and screaming to be in any way pleasant.  

No comments: